Meaningful Use Eligibility
Medicare Eligible Professionals:
- Doctor of medicine or osteopathy
- Doctor of dental surgery or dental medicine
- Doctor of podiatry
- Doctor of optometry
Medicaid Eligible Professionals:
- Physicians (primarily doctors of medicine and doctors of osteopathy)
- Nurse practitioner
- Certified nurse-midwife
- Physician assistant who furnishes services in a Federally Qualified Health Center or Rural Health Clinic that is led by a physician assistant.
To be eligible for the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program, providers must also meet one of the following criteria:
- Have a minimum 30% Medicaid patient volume*
- Have a minimum 20% Medicaid patient volume, and is a pediatrician*
- Practice predominantly in a Federally Qualified Health Center or Rural Health Center and have a minimum 30% patient volume attributable to needy individuals
* Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) patients do not count toward the volume criteria.
Hospital-based professionals are not eligible for EHR incentives under either Medicare or Medicaid, nor are they subject to future Medicare adjustments for failure to be a meaningful user of a certified EHR. Physicians are considered hospital-based if they perform 90% or more of their services in a hospital setting.